“They were never able to destroy me. I am not ashamed.” Buchenwald survivor Rudolf Brazda lived almost a century as a gay man, enjoying the tolerant climate of the Weimar Republic as a young man, and living openly with his lover. When the Nazis came to power, all that changed. Brazda was arrested under the notorious Paragraph 175 of the German Criminal Code and deported to the Buchenwald death camp. The pink triangle that marked him as a homosexual in the camps may have also helped saved his life. “Others died but I came through” Brazda once explained. At least twice he was helped by SS guards, with whom he probably had sexual relationships. He discretely describes the guard who intervened to prevent his execution for insulting another guard as “infatuated.” After liberation, Brazda settled in Alsace, where he met his partner Edi in 1950. The couple stayed together until Edi’s death in 2002. Earlier this year, Brazda was honored by the French Legion d’Honneur. Kim Willsher of the LA Times reports from Paris. Story here.
Search Gay Highwaymen
- Gay Activism and Iran: Do Western Activists Do More Harm Than Good? (Link to article by Scott Long)
- Emigrant: The Other White Meat?
- Obama Loves Queers! (Except Not)
- Hot (the bad kind) in the Mission
- HuffPost Gay Voices: Liberian Anti-Gay Group Issues Hit List, Governments Do Nothing
- Exotic, Fresh, and Fruity: Seen at the Asian Market
- Deadly Beauties
- More boy love/lust graffiti in SF
- “I WHAT Cock?” – Construction Sign Self-Expression
- Attempted Gay (Fake) Weddings: Valentine’s Day news from China
- The Phlip-side of the Phelps Phamily – Gay-friendly Nate! – Son of Dying Phred…
- Shop Sears…really! Young painter Justin Sears cool quirky big art on wood.
- Strange and sexy shelf Life – Dad of Dads and soiled Spanking…seriously.
- Hey, Daddy…nice shirt!
- Valentines Day is Nutz…
- Mayor of Folsom Street launches at Center for Sex and Culture
- Safe Sex Bang!
- Or the Stick…
- Jingle boys! Hot Leather Dad captures Santa skivvy run in SF Castro in cool seasonal video. Ho! Ho! Ho!
- Other Blogs: Cool Brit Art Site Crab Wise