Rainbow Grocery, my local worker-owned co-op vegetarian grocery store, has a reputation for being a little bit alternative, in every way. It’s the polar opposite of a cookie-cutter Safeway – the heavily tattooed guy with pierced cheeks who helps me find bulk maple syrup, the fact that it HAS bulk maple syrup (and bulk Hawaiian black salt, mesquite flour, and Inca berries, among other things), the lengthy co-op meetings debating whether they should carry Israeli products in light of the Palestinian genocide. I also love the irreverent and also hilarious descriptions of their various products on their handwritten labels. So in light of all this, I guess it’s not too surprising that that Rainbow is celebrating Hallowe’en this year with a candy display featuring lifelike dismembered limbs and body parts. I was quite impressed…and though I’m not sure what this says about San Francisco or our expectations of Rainbow, it’s worth nothing that none of the other shoppers seemed to give the display a second look.
Search Gay Highwaymen
- Gay Activism and Iran: Do Western Activists Do More Harm Than Good? (Link to article by Scott Long)
- Emigrant: The Other White Meat?
- Obama Loves Queers! (Except Not)
- Hot (the bad kind) in the Mission
- HuffPost Gay Voices: Liberian Anti-Gay Group Issues Hit List, Governments Do Nothing
- Exotic, Fresh, and Fruity: Seen at the Asian Market
- Deadly Beauties
- More boy love/lust graffiti in SF
- “I WHAT Cock?” – Construction Sign Self-Expression
- Attempted Gay (Fake) Weddings: Valentine’s Day news from China
- Bully pup offs skunk and turns toon!
- Putin Out! Besos públicos en repudio a Putín.
- Urban Ore Men’s Toilet Art – Do You Give a Flying Fuck?
- Hey, Yoo! Great Korean Neo-Pop Public Art: Spider-Man with Morning Wood!
- Shhh…. Sneak! Preview…of The Mayor of Folsom Street.
- Godzilla and King Kong make out on Bearded Bear Chest.
- A Martyr in the Archive: The Life and Afterlife of Harvey Milk’s Suit
- The Phlip-side of the Phelps Phamily – Gay-friendly Nate! – Son of Dying Phred…
- Shop Sears…really! Young painter Justin Sears cool quirky big art on wood.
- Strange and sexy shelf Life – Dad of Dads and soiled Spanking…seriously.