Rick Welts, President and CEO of the Phoenix Suns, is coming out. The 58-year old Welts began his career 40 years ago with the Seattle Supersonics as – no kidding – a ball boy. According to Dan Barry’s column in Sunday’s New York Times: “Mr. Welts explained that he wants to pierce the silence that envelops the subject of homosexuality in men’s team sports.” Four decades in the closet came at a cost. When his partner passed of AIDS in 1994, he took two days off. “His secretary explained to others that a good friend of his had died. Although she and Arnie had talked many times over the years, she and her boss had never discussed who, exactly, Arnie was.” Later, he lost another long-term lover, when the man finally left him, unwilling to continue to live in the closet. That was two years ago. And now, Welts is out. Read “A Sports Executive Leaves the Safety of His Shadow Life” here.
Search Gay Highwaymen
- Gay Activism and Iran: Do Western Activists Do More Harm Than Good? (Link to article by Scott Long)
- Emigrant: The Other White Meat?
- Obama Loves Queers! (Except Not)
- Hot (the bad kind) in the Mission
- HuffPost Gay Voices: Liberian Anti-Gay Group Issues Hit List, Governments Do Nothing
- Exotic, Fresh, and Fruity: Seen at the Asian Market
- Deadly Beauties
- More boy love/lust graffiti in SF
- “I WHAT Cock?” – Construction Sign Self-Expression
- Attempted Gay (Fake) Weddings: Valentine’s Day news from China
- Other Blogs: Cool Brit Art Site Crab Wise
- One Big Tool…Really!
- Lichen that Beard!!!
- ‘Burban Street Art. Really!
- Super Spider Shelf Men…
- Art Peppers! That’s hot. Nice packages, too…
- SF Eagle sports cool vintage bar art. Texan digs it!
- Rural Dungeon Still Life/s: Part Two…
- Want a Big Cock? Try Radiation!
- Release the Kraken! Ancient and Contemporary Soft Homoerotic Tentacle Porn…really.